Sunday, April 18, 2010

18.04.10 Straylining

Better than watching paint dry

Heavy - 10.4kg & 6.4kg

With the forecast looking good I rang Muz to see if he wanted to go for a snapper fish (stray lining), he said stray lining is like "watching paint dry and his weekend suddenly got busy". I gave Johnstone a ring and he and his son Ethan were keen as. So leaving Muz to catch up on all the jobs he had been neglecting at home we headed to Aerial reef (AR8A). The wind - a light westerly was perfect for the current, we dropped the anchor and over the side went the sack of berley, it took Johnstone 15 minutes before the first pannie (good eating size snapper) was in the bin. Another 30 minutes we had 4 pannies in the bin, nothing big. I was using baby squid and bonito tied together but only the bonito was being taken. It's strange 2 weeks ago the snapper were nailing baby squid but today they weren't even interested. I changed my trace from the 2 hook (Main and keeper) to a single 9.0 hook and a slab of bonito, first hit resulted in a 6.4kg snapper followed by a 3kg. At this stage I was using 2 rods so I put one away and just had one out, I had another good hit, it felt like a shark but you never know. Lucky for me it wasn't, it turned out to be a 10.4kg snapper and a good looking specimen. With 2 good snappers in the bin I put my gear away and let Johnstone and Ethan fill the bin some nice 2 and 3kg snappers which had started to come on. The berley ran out at 11am and with the bin full with 16 snapper we headed home, to get home before lunch is a rarity, another good days fishing on Gazebo.
Stray lining - 16, Paint drying - 0

No comments:

Post a Comment