Monday, January 21, 2013

Summer 12/13

Sorry its been awhile since my last post, things have changed in my life, Having been made redundant just before Christmas and starting my own company, finding clients and work have kept me busy. Still I have found time to go fishing, we took our caravan out to the beach again this year (here in Gisborne we can freedom camp on certain beaches) and this year not having to work over the holiday period I was able to enjoy the beach. We have had the best summer so far in years, hot and dry with little wind.
I was able to go to the Tokomaru Bay's (about 65 k's up the coast) 2 day deep water contest on White Pointer, as usual the wind turned on shore for the contest and dropped completely as the contest ended. The conditions 46 k's out to sea were not good on the first day with most of the fleet being sick at sometime (even seasoned commercial fishermen were crook). I surprised myself with a quick spit after untangling a couple of lines and was good for the rest of the time, we had 4 on the boat who were not good all of the time on the first day. We managed only a couple of Hapuka and 16 Bluenose over the 2 days. not a good return seeing we were in the eldorado of Hapuka, the people we stayed with caught over 30 Hapuka over the 2 days supplying most of the small township of Tokomaru Bay with fish .

The water off Gisborne is starting to warm up reaching 20.9 last weekend, so everyone is starting to talk Tuna/Marlin, but still no sign of them. The sea looks ready for them with heaps of bait fish around so they can't be far away. This weekend is the Enterprise Holden Bay Bonanza our big 3 day contest, as per normal the forecast is crap for the weekend - but we live in hope the weather men have got it wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment