Sunday, March 14, 2010

Gisborne Surf Fishing Competition

We had the ladies boat competition set for yesterday, with the weather forecast and a large SW swell and winds the ladies comp is postponed till the 27th, and we have the Discount fishing Gisborne surf fishing comp set for today.
The surf casting comp is still on, we get down to the beach to the spot I've been checking out at 6.30am and the swell is a solid metre, to big for us to wade out and cast over the last wave so we head up to the western end of the beach where the swell is smaller to our reserve spot, we are fishing high tide going out, Murray and I cast out at 8.ooam (start time) and wait, we get a few small bites resulting in our baits being taken a good sign. Around 10.00am I'm casting one of my two rods and my other one has a large bite, I have to rush in from the sea to grab the rod and play in a 1.63kg Kahawai - good least one fish to weigh in. About an hour later Murray pulls in a 32cm snapper the target spieces, even better. Half hour later I pull in a 3.6kg Dogfish (shark), for the rest of the contest I catch a few small trevally and Kahawai's which are under sized and are released, The day is fine and calm and I'm a bit sun burnt, we go to the prize giving an find out there is over 140 rods fishing and only 6 fish weighted in, Murray manages 2nd place with his snapper, my Kahawai ends up in 2nd place and the shark is in 1st place, not a bad days work at the office for team Gazebo.

No comments:

Post a Comment